Having decided to go ahead with screening of our baby we were just discussing last night when we would get the results. It turned out that today was the day and with the wife away to work a letter dropped that I assumed was from the hospital as it was marked 'Private & Confidential'. I thought I would leave it for her to open on her return, but as the day wore on curiosity got the better of me and I went for it.
Thankfully I did, as it said that high AFP levels had been found and she was booked in for a scan at 3.30pm today! My heart sank on reading this and I made the phone call to her at work to tell her this news knowing that she would be immediately panic-stricken. Not knowing what this meant I Googled it and was actually comforted by what I found as a common cause of this can be bleeding during pregnancy, which has caused us no end of heartacahe since we found out we were going to be parents. To be fair we were both quite calm about it all, but I'm sure the wife's insides were churning the same way mine were.
Anyway, to cut a long story short we saw our 'Lentil' again today.
We saw his/her brain, spine, wee hands and feet, kidneys, stomach and heart pumping away...you name it we saw it and thankfully the specialist was happy that nothing untoward is going on with our little one. It was quite amazing seeing the pictures from a scanner that shows much more detail than we'd seen previously. Every vertebrae was there, bones in legs and arms and even little toes. We never got to see his/her face as the little toerag had his/her hands over it all the time and no amount of prodding would stop this game of keek-a-boo.
It's been a strange day... we're both tired, drained and relieved and I'm going to have a late night glass of wine now while the other two sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment